Tuesday, July 17, 2012


Welcome Runners!

Over the next few months until race day, this blog will serve to get you to race day through a half marathon training plan, general advice and hopefully some fun along the way. We decided to focus on the half marathon since it is the most popular and fastest growing distance race in the country. The training plan will be 12 weeks in length and will be posted in four-week blocks. The plan is designed for beginners, but can be easily modified for other levels. For those of you focusing on the other distances offered on October 13th, don’t worry, there will be plenty of information for runners tackling any of the races. On weeks when the training plan is not the focus, the blog will cover topics such as nutrition, gear and shoes, cross-training, stretching and strength training and much more! Main posts will come every Monday, but keep checking in because I may get the itch to share something at any point along the road. 

So, who am I and why should you listen to anything I say? First and foremost, let me stress the point that I am not yet a coach. However, I am currently working towards coaching certifications in running through the Road Runners Club of America and triathlon through USATriathlon, as well as a certification in sports nutrition from the International Sports Science Association.  I have been an endurance sports junkie for nearly 10 years and have completed races all over the country,  from 5Ks to an Ironman triathlon. More importantly, I am a true geek when it comes to learning about the science of fitness, training and nutrition. What I offer on this blog will be based on information I have acquired over the years, but mostly from my personal experiences in the trenches. 

Finally, please post questions or provide feedback in the comments following these posts. We want to make sure you are getting the most out of this blog and get you excited for Run the Rock.  

Coming next week: The first installment of the beginner half marathon plan!

Run for your lives,
Bree

3 comments:

  1. move the countdown clock higher up on the page

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks and good point. I'll work on getting some maps up shortly.

      Delete