Sunday, August 5, 2012

You are what you eat


I hesitated to even write a post on nutrition. Nutrition is such a dynamic and hot button issue that even broaching the subject is opening a huge can of worms and endangering me to a fate of tar and feathers. And yet, I’m going to do it anyway. I’m going to stress that I am not a nutritionist (though I’m working towards it) and everything I go on about in this post is based on my own research, reading and experience.

Everyone knows we should eat a well balanced diet. A healthy diet supplies the body with the nutrients it needs to support basic energy requirements, maintain an optimal level of fitness and prevent chronic disease.   A good, healthy diet should be made up primarily of real, whole foods and very limited amounts of highly processed and packaged foods.  It’s also important to keep in mind that when you are training for an endurance event, like a half or full marathon, what you eat is going to have a significant influence on how you feel, perform and recover.

Daily diets, and the calories you eat, come from three main sources of macronutrients; carbohydrates, protein and fats.

Carbohydrates (60% of calories, 1 gram = 4 calories) - The majority of daily calories should come from carbohydrates, as the body burns carbs at its primary fuel source. Carbs come in two forms, simple (sugars) and complex (starches).  In general, consumption of simple carbs should be avoided.  We all know that sugar (including white sugar, brown sugar, “raw” sugar, and high fructose corn syrup) and processed (white) flours are actually made up of pure evil.  It’s true; I’ve been to the factory. Naturally occurring sugars, such as those found in fruit and milk, can be eaten but should be kept to a minimum in favor of more complex sources of carbs. Complex carbs include breads, grains and vegetable starches.  A lot of grain sources of carbs have been vilified in recent years (primarily wheat due to its massive commercialization and the issue of gluten sensitivities). I’m not going to get into that debate here, but I will tell you that in my own diet I try to avoid wheat and only eat grains (1 to 2 servings a day), such as quinoa, amaranth and millet, that have been sprouted or soaked. Soaking grains (and beans and nuts) makes them easier to digest and makes their nutrients more bioavailable.  Personally, I try to get most of my complex carbs from other sources, such as sweet potatoes and squash.

How much do you hate me right now?  Well, I’m afraid I have some more bad news. Beer is not a quality source of carbohydrates. I’m sorry. I really am. The good news is there is a whole variety of “free carbohydrates” that you can eat to your heart’s content. Guess what they are?! Vegetables! More specifically vegetables with a high water content, including tomatoes, cucumber, broccoli, kale, spinach, mushrooms, cabbage, carrots… This really makes up for that beer thing, doesn’t it?

Protein (15% of calories, 1 gram = 4 calories) -  Most meat eaters exceed their daily need for protein quite significantly.  We really only need 1.2 to 2 grams of protein per 2.2 pounds of body weight per day. That’s much less protein than most people think. Still it’s important to include a bit of quality protein in every meal or snack you eat. Good sources of animal protein come from pork, beef and chicken. Of course in Alaska, we have one of the best sources of high quality protein in the fish we catch in our backyards, salmon in particular. Eggs and yogurt can also be used to meet protein needs. Of course, it should go without saying that all of these are made much more healthful if they come from organic, pasture-raised/grass fed sources. Nuts, nut butters and beans can are also good and tasty sources of protein.  Beans and nuts are made more healthful by soaking as with grains.

Fat (25%, 1 gram = 9 calories) – I’ve been called a fat Nazi on more than one occasion. But I am no such thing. Perhaps a more appropriate name would be fat snob or fat elitist. I love fat. I need fat. Fat is our friend and is sorely misunderstand. Let’s all take a moment to feel sorry for fat.
As you may have guessed, like carbs and protein, there are good sources of fat and not so good sources. Contrary to what most believe, fat from animal sources (provided they are grass-fed/pasture raised sources…blah, blah, blah) are actually GOOD for you.  Guess what else is? BUTTER (again with the high quality caveats)! Yay….I’m finally winning some friends. Other great sources of fat come from nuts, olive oil, avocados, flax seeds, chia seeds, and coconut oil. Fats to AVOID are pretty much all polyunsaturated oils (corn, vegetable, sunflower, safflower) and margarine. Cooking in butter, coconut oil or olive oil is a much healthier strategy than using margarine or canola oil. FYI… margarine is made in the same factory as sugar and white flour so it too as a healthy dose of pure evil.

Hopefully I haven’t confused or irritated anyone too much. Nutrition can be quite overwhelming and its seeming complexity can often turn people away from trying to learn more about it or follow a healthy lifestyle.  Start small and don’t try to tackle it all at once. And remember…we all have our vices and NOONE is perfect. Just ask me about my Diet Dr. Pepper addiction. A good approach to all of this is to follow the 80/20 rule. Eat whole, natural and nutritionally dense foods 80% of the time and allow yourself to “splurge” the other 20% and you’ll still come out healthier without losing your mind or your friends.  

I’ve only just touched the surface and I encourage you to check out these sites for more information:

As if I haven’t gotten myself in deep enough, I will cover training and race day nutrition in my next main post. Heaven help me.

Run for your lives,
Bree

P.S. I hope you are all enjoying the blog thus far.  If you are, I humbly request your support in my endeavor to raise funds on behalf of Team Continuum. Team Continuum, or Team Can, is a non-profit organization that helps cancer patients and their families cope with the expenses and stressed of everyday life.  I am running with Team Can at the New York City Marathon on November 4th and would be most grateful for any support.

No comments:

Post a Comment