Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Give me a beat

Listening to music gives you an undeniable emotional edge when running. In fact, some races will not let runners who are professional or vying for an age group prize listen to music as it is conceived as an unfair advantage.

There are purists out there who think that listening to music, podcasts, audiobooks, etc. takes too much away from the experience of running and inhibits your ability to get in "tune" with your body. There's also the safety aspect to consider. Running with music obviously hampers your ability to hear oncoming traffic...or bears.

But, I think those that take advantage of audio company far outweigh those that don't. So, for those of you who DO listen in...I thought it would be great to get the ultimate play list going.
Songs that I favor tend to be ones that I know well and can hum or sing along to or that remind of happy times. A nice thumping beat doesn't hurt either. Here is a sampling of what is on my running playlist right now:

Bruises - Chairlift
Lose Yourself - Eminem
You Make My Dreams Come True - Hall & Oates
Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard - Simon and Garfunkel
Home  - Edward Sharp and the Magnetic Zeros
Lonely Boy - The Black Keys
Callin' Baton Rouge - Garth Brooks
Rockin' the Suburbs - Ben Folds
Paper Planes - M.I.A
Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond
Sunshine - Jonathan Edwards
Faith - George Michael
Time to Pretend - MGMT
See The World - Gomez
Messages - Xavier Rudd
Anything by Vampire Weekend

Let's hear it from you. Post your favorites in the comments. Remember - there are no judgements when it comes to taste in running music!

Run for your lives,
Bree

3 comments:

  1. YES! I'd been hoping for new playlist ideas :) Some favorites on mine: Sinnerman (Nina Simone), Keep you right and we are the tide by Blind Pilot, Pumped up Kicks by Foster the People, Good Man by Josh Ritter, and Family Affair by Mary J Blige.

    Thanks for the great blog, Bree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a favorite playlist:
    URAQT by M.I.A.
    Pon De Replay by Rihanna
    Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) by Beyoncé
    The Ass (Introducing Apani) by Pharoahe Monch
    Paper Planes by M.I.A.
    blade techno opener by DaRude vs Zombie Nation
    Womanizer by Britney Spears
    My Love (Feat. T.I.) by Justin Timberlake
    Tits On The Radio by Scissor Sisters
    I Love My Sex by Benassi Bros.
    Shelter Me by Ferry Corsten
    Keep the Car Running by Arcade Fire
    Intergalactic by Beastie Boys
    Fit But You Know It by The Streets
    Bulla Bulla by Gogol Bordello
    Live Your Life by T.I. ft Rihanna
    Like It Like That by A Tribe Called Quest
    Shoulda Known by Atmosphere
    Secrets (Club Mix) by 4 Clubbers
    Sonar (Club Mix) by 4 Clubbers
    Push (Club Mix) by Future Breeze

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't use a external music provider when I run but often songs come on their own internally. Some are ok but others make me wonder. Recurring often are: Here Comes Santa Claus and This Old Man.

    ReplyDelete