Sunday, August 31, 2014

Postpartum Running by guest blogger Betsy Lund

This week the RTR blog brings you a special guest…Kodiak super athlete and devoted mother, Betsy Lund!  Please take some time to read there advice and thoughts on returning to running after child birth.
Thanks Betsy!

I recall a ultramarathon runner and friend of mine telling me how well many professional female distance runners do after the birth of a child. He said it had to do with the increased oxygen in their bloodstream. He might be correct, but I never felt this super charge and questioned how long the body would hold on to this extra oxygen. One thing I did feel, though, was a sheer determination to feel like myself again. And to not let this lifestyle change take me down the slippery slope of lethargy. In the end, I came back stronger in some ways, weaker in others, but overall, have been very happy with where I am.

I’m now a mother of two and each pregnancy and postpartum period was very different. Always listen to your body; it knows best. I’ll spare details of all the differences and share the basics of how getting back into running worked for me.

First thing, you need a stroller or a nanny or a very accommodating spouse. The most reliable option for me was the stroller — no need to coordinate schedules and it can double as a crib. You don’t need anything fancy. I stripped all baskets and gadgets off my hand-me-down, it doesn’t have a swivel wheel, it is pretty bare bones. After my second was born, I reluctantly got a double stroller at the thrift store (lucky score), and it’s been the only thing to guarantee I’ll get out. Again, coordinating schedules and finding time are difficult. This takes out all the guess work. Note: two kids is twice as heavy. No magic at work here. Sorry.

Second, remember even if you feel slow, your effort is what matters most. I was nervous for my first race after my first baby. I hadn’t run without a stroller, much, and what little I had was in the snow or mud. I walked most hills as the additional stroller weight was too much to push and be able to breath. Walking uphill is still a great workout and the whole outing can be considered resistance training to a certain degree. If you are so lucky to run a race or fun run without your stroller and baby, you will feel light as a feather in comparison to your new training regiment. In this case, my sprint (5K) time improved from pre-baby.

Lastly, take solace in your time out of the house and away from other responsibilities. At the same time, and this sounds pretty corny, your baby is becoming familiar with nature. My kids were and are never as relaxed as after a jaunt outside. We live in a very special place and every day I am thankful my kids have the opportunity to breath Kodiak’s pure air. On that note, I should also encourage you to not let the rain stop you (too often, at least). Plan for it, and everything else is bonus.

Betsy Lund, Momma who now finds a solo run comparable to a spa day




No comments:

Post a Comment